Monday, March 23, 2009

US Embassy and Botanical Gardens

This morning we visited the US Embassy - outside it looked like a prison. How cheery..There was a guy standing outside with a big machine gun. Once we were inside, after more screening and processing than you have to go through in the airport, we went into a room and met two American people who were to give us a presentation. It was very nice to hear English that wasn't tinged with an accent of some sort - I realize how I take advantage the capability of communication and understanding people on a daily basis. The two people talked about Singapore from the US perspective, and it was much more to-the-point and factual than other Singapore presentations we've had from Singaporeans. The Singapore way of informing people seems to be to make things sound good without providing real information...So it was nice to get some clearer and non-convoluded views. Annabelle, who is from Singapore, said that everything they said was pretty much correct.

We went to lunch at this Indian restaurant called Samy's, and it was all completely curry. Currie prawns, curried chicken, curried squid, curried lamb, curried potatoes, curried fish cakes, curried curry with curry on top and a side of curry...etc. Oh yea and there was rice and pita-type bread. Oh and lime juice that was absolutely amazing. It was the most spicy food I have ever eaten at one sitting. They gave us huge palm leaves and then spooned food straight onto them for us to eat..many waiters came around the table with all our options and we said yes or no, and sometimes it was difficult to make sure they didn't heap something on your leaf. It was an experience, and I'm certain I won't have a hankering for anything curried in a while now...

We went to the Singapore Botanical Gardens after lunch and it was absolutely gorgeous. I love the smell of green and outside. It was a huge place and we definitely didn't cover the entirety of it, but we went into the orchid section and perused the ginger gardens, etc. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. Once returning to the hotel, in anticipation of receiving some kind of nap, I embarked again on a journey with Rebecca, Danny, and Caro to Bugis for some shopping.

We went on a wild goose chase for this store that Noelle and Kathryn supposedly found yesterday in the Bugis area...but we never found it. Kind of disappointing - but we didn't cover a lot of shopping ground, and found this adorable japanese necklace with piano keys and notes on it...that whole store had rings and bracelets and earrings all from japan and all absolutely adorable..it's a shame I can't grow money..

Now I am back and blogging yet again. I realize my last post was lacking..so I shall attempt to make up for it. What shall I talk about - hmm. I don't really know. There is so much to say that I haven't yet about the history and ideas and culture, mostly things that can't be described or even photographed. It must be observed and experienced. The people here are really not that bad - some are even friendly and will smile back. Shopkeepers are way more obnoxious here, and often it turns one off to buying anything. I suppose that's not so bad really, otherwise I'd be out much more money. Everywhere you go there are people. Tons and tons of people. I think it would get overwhelming to me after a while. Transportation really adds up - I can't imagine using the MRT and buses every single day - ahh I don't even want to think how much that would add up to in a year. Clothes are made for little people, and it's somewhat saddening when you're trying to try something on.

A little bit more about the country itself - Singapore is only 40-some years old in its independence. In that amount of time it has moved from a 3rd world country to a 1st and is much more advanced that the US in some respects. It is amazing to think of that much change and growth in such a short time.

I find it fascinating sometimes to realize that I am in a group of people who are more than willing to discuss social and environmental issues on an every-day basis over drinks, lunch, or anytime. I find myself surrounded by these folks who know a lot and can share things with me and hold intelligent conversations and be sincerely interested in talking about philosophy, religion, policy, politics, government involvement in a growing society...on and on all these topics. Here we are in Singapore learning and experiencing all these things..yes it's a class, and that's the point, but still. After we leave a place we start talking about it and discussing it amongst ourselves while we ride the bus back to the hotel..and I can't help but think that I would never find such a happening back at home. Here, in this place, and at the marine lab in general, I am surrounded by my people. People who are willing to talk about school and serious issues and are truly involved in the discussions. They don't care what you think, either, because they are all open-minded and willing to share their opinions and listen to yours, etc. I like it. I feel comfortable and at home.

Every now and then I realize where I am and who I am and what I know and I think about how I got here. What events transpired to get me to this point. If that much has happened and I am here now, what could happen in the next year? The next 10 years? It could be amazing what I could learn and do in another year. In one year already I've gotten to go to the Bahamas, become SCUBA certified, be an RA, join CREW, join a sorority, enroll in the marine lab, move to NC for a semester, take classes with some of the brightest and well-known professors in the realm of my major, go to Singapore for 2 weeks, work on molecular stuff with hydrothermal vent organisms, apply for a huge scholarship (that i'm still waiting to hear about..!!), apply to several internships and get accepted into one (so far..waiting on two still), and many more things I'm sure I just can't remember now. That's only a year..

It's amazing what you can do...I would never think ahead and see myself doing these things. Life is so spontaneous, and whether we like it or not, it will take us wherever it wants to - we are only along for the ride. Who knows where I will be and what I will be doing next year?

Well, I do know that tomorrow I will be in Malaysia..and that shall also be another adventure.

Singapore Photos Day(s) Whatever

No comments:

Post a Comment